Gallbladder Post Surgery
Hey there, I’m a first timer. It’s been two weeks since my operation and I’m wishing I could go back in time. In hindsight, I think they whipped my gallbladder out to quickly. I’ve been feeling pretty average and reading some terrible stories about people who suffer after surgery. My dad had his out about a year ago and he assures me it takes around six months for your body to adjust! I wish someone had of told me that. All I was told is that 90% of people tolerate it very well, but the more I read about anatomy the more I realize how important this little organ is. I guess it’s just a waiting game. I have had a year of feeling average with all the tests in the world and when they finally discovered that my gallbladder was a bit problematic I thought that this was the solution. Now I’m not so convinced. I stayed on a good diet for six months and didn’t improve dramatically. Well I guess I’ll be staying on an even stricter diet now and taking probiotics and what not. Going to the surgeon tomorrow to grill him as to why they whipped it out so quickly. Don’t put your life in doctors hands people. I wish I hadn’t of. I’d love some simple tips on how to deal with nausea, acid and getting past this initial period of feeling like hell. A simple diet I guess would be best? Time machine anyone?
I am 8 days out of surgery and so far doing pretty well. The first half of the week i ate a lot of fat free crackers, canned peaches, and English muffins and had a couple of nights of very painful bloating and some diarrhea. These last few days I’ve been able to eat rice, tilapia, steamed veggies, oatmeal, french toast made with low cal bread, egg substitute, and I Can’t Believe Its Not Butter Spray, and small amount of syrup. I also had half of a chocolate chip cookie from McDonald’s (which tasted like heaven) and saved the other half for the next day. I’ve had what I consider to be minimal bloating compared to those earlier nights. The last day or so I’ve been craving popcorn, which has been a frequent snack for me before surgery. I usually always eat either air popped popcorn with I Can’t Believe Its Not Butter Spray or 94% Fat Free Microwave Popcorn. Does anybody know what the consensus is on popcorn whether others have been able to eat it and why it is bad, if it is? Also, popcorn at the movies without butter bad too?
Read More »
Hello again, I posted here in July shortly after I had my surgery. I didn’t however tell my story of how I ended up needing the operation yet, and since it’s thanksgiving (in Canada) I thought I’d come talk about how I’m doing now and how the first big holiday meal went without a gall bladder. A bit of a warning, this turned out to be a lot longer than I thought it would, so if you decide to read it, thank you XD if not, no problem lol
So first my horror story -_- the first time I noticed a problem was in 2007. I had a particularly unhealthy weekend starting with pizza with some scotch on Friday which gave me some stomach pains 20 minutes or so after eating that ended up going away in a little while. Saturday the same pain after my meal but it went away. I wasn’t yet too worried and thought I just had a bug or something. Sunday however was different. I had a spaghetti meal and after 20 minutes that pain came back again, only this time it didn’t go away, it got worse. So I layed down, and it got worse, so I paced around, and it got WORSE, then I was sick and with the pain being so intense, realized it was time to go and wait for hours in the emergency room. My dad gave me a ride there and while waiting in the ER the pain mostly went away. I ended up going home with some percs and a scheduled ultrasound exam for the morning, which my family doctor revealed those results to me, being that I had sludge in my gall bladder :/ so I went on a diet of rice and veggies for a year -_-.. that sucked loll I couldn’t really have a whole lot else without getting pain. After that however it seemed I was cured. I was back to eating and drinking what I pleased.
Read More »